Centre for Scandinavian Studies, University of Aberdeen
Directeur/Director : Stefan Brink (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Coordonnées/Contact détails : 50/52 College Bounds, King’s College, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 3DS
In the autumn 2007 a Centre for Scandinavian Studies was launched at the University of Aberdeen. The centre is an interdisciplinary research institution, crossing discipline, school and college boundaries. The Centre’s aims are to:
1. initiate research on aspects on Scandinavian language, history and culture
2. create a ‘Research School’ in Scandinavian Studies for Postgraduates, where the MLitt and PhD students will on a daily basis participate in the activities at the Centre
3. run several MLitt (Master) programmes, at the moment a MLitt in ‘Viking and Medieval Scandinavia’, a MLitt by Research in ‘Scandinavian Studies’, and we are planning a new MLitt in ‘Viking Studies’, together with the Department of Archaeology
4. run a Scandinavian Studies Seminar
5. participate, promote and enhance different projects, networks, conferences and interests, related to Scandinavia, at the moment in Nordic music, film, legal history, Old Norse poetry, Old Norse mythology and Nordic landscape history
At the moment the profile of the members of the centre is Viking and medieval Scandinavia, with expertise in Old Norse and Old Swedish language and literature, Scandinavian toponymy and runology, medieval history, landscape history and legal history.
A new group is forming with scholars and students having a focus on contemporary and 19th century nationalism in Scandinavia, studying film, literature and music.
The University of Aberdeen has several leading international scholars who can supervise postgraduates in the Centre for Scandinavian Studies, as well as in the immediate academic vicinity in other departments.
Projets de recherche/Research Projects :
– Nordic Medieval Laws (NML)
– Landscape Interfaces – Water as Mediator Between the Real and the Superficial Worlds
– Skaldic Poetry of the Scandinavian Middle Ages
– Nordic Centre for Medieval Studies (NCMS) – Team II: Religion
– Project Hólarannsóknin
– Old Norse Mythology Network and Conferences, University of Aarhus, Denmark
– Brough of Deerness, Orkney
– The Political Geography of Iron Age Scandinavia